REPORTING TO PARENTS
Reporting to parents is one of the features encompassed by the range of communication links a school establishes with its community.
To be effective, the school must create a climate of warmth, respect and honesty in its communications, supported by reporting mechanisms which promote the sharing of information on both a formal planned basis and on an informal spontaneous level.
Parents should feel that their involvement in these processes is welcomed and valued by the school.
1. To enhance the relationships between the school and the homes of the students.
2. To provide parents and caregivers with information relevant to the development of
their child and effecting academic, social, physical, emotional and behavioural considerations.
3. To alert patents of any problems relating to their child and to participate in frank, purposeful discussion of such matters with data available.
4. To gain information from parents which may assist in the better provision for students’ learning needs or in understanding their personal backgrounds.
1. The school will seek to develop the atmosphere in which home/school communications can flourish.
2. Parents of all new entrants to the school will be made welcome and encouraged to visit and get to know their child’s teacher. Each team will hold a “meet the teacher” evening in February as part of the welcoming process for parents.
3. Incoming students and parents will be interviewed as part of the induction programme.
4. An conference time will be made available in March each year involving the student, the parent and the teacher. This is followed up with a second conference in Term 3.
5. Written reports are provided at mid year and again at the end of the year on the official report form.
6. Each student will record samples of work in their Learning Log which demonstrates evidence of learning and progress. These will be assessed by the teacher and student and sent home at regular intervals for parents to review and make comments.
7. Students are asked to write their own self-assessment as part of each entry. School achievement and school involvement is recorded in each report.
8. The school will report to parents on a range of matters affecting pupils by newsletters on a regular basis.
Date of Approval:____________________________ Chairperson:________________________
Date of Review:__________________________ 2 YEAR REVIEW